The WonderVisions Workshop
VICE is looking for first time filmmakers with a story from their corner of Britain or Ireland that they want to share with the world. Applications for 2018 have now closed.
The internet is a big place, so if it's your company's job to fill the internet with documentaries, your job is never done. That's why we need your help. VICE is looking for new filmmakers with a story from their corner of Britain or Ireland that they want to share with the world. Over the years VICE has made thousands of documentaries across the world about politics, news, identity, sex, crime, drugs, education, conflict, religion, tech, fashion and everything else. Some of our docs have hosts, others do not. Some are glossy, others are gritty. However, they are all unified by their ambition to tell stories which would otherwise go untold.
So, if you have a story that demands to be told - it could be about a grassroots political movement, new underground scene, or a legendary weirdo from the local head shop. Maybe there's a piece about a new religion growing in size, or a bunch of school kids who're doing something revolutionary. It could be anything.
What we're looking for
- Stories that can be turned into 5-10 min documentaries
- Ambitious filmmakers with a track record for jaw-dropping ideas
- Amazing access
- Understanding of VICE's tone and style
Please note that we are looking for applicants that have some experience of filmmaking - whether that is on personal projects or with a junior role on a professional production (such as production assistant / runner). Entrants must be over 18.
Five entrants will be invited to VICE's London office to receive one on one feedback on their ideas from a selection of VICE producers and commissioners and for a training workshop in using the Panasonic GH5. The five entrants will be gifted a camera package from Panasonic including :
- A Panasonic LUMIX GH5 & XLR set, with batteries, SD cards and a Movcam cage kit.
- Panasonic LUMIX lenses including an 8-18mm, a Lumix 12mm F1.4, 25mm F1.4, 12-35mm F2.8 and 35-100mm F2.8.
- A crane V2 gimbal.
From these five finalists, one winner will be selected who will be invited to collaborate with the VICE content team to make their documentary. The winner will also be given the opportunity to become a LUMIX Ambassador for a year.
The five finalists will have their travel paid for up to an agreed amount.
VICE will provide the opportunity for one creator to produce their debut film under the mentorship of VICE documentarians with a production budget of up to £15,000, including expenses and a paid rate for the winner.
How to ApplyEntries are closed.
Terms and Conditions
- Competition details found above form part of these terms and conditions.
- Entrants to the Competition and the winners of any prizes are subject to these terms and conditions. By submitting your entry, you agree to comply with these terms and conditions.
- Entry is open only to residents of the United Kingdom who are aged 18 and over at the date of entry. Proof of identity and age may be required.
- Employees of the Promoter and their immediate families may not enter the Competition; neither may the employees of any third party sponsors, prize providers or their immediate families.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Please note that the winning entry will become the property of the Promoter and the winner will enter into any documents reasonably necessary to complete any assignment of such works. All other entries the entrant will retain ownership of such and the Promoter will not be permitted to use these entrants for any purpose, unless otherwise agreed with you.
- The Promoter will not be responsible for (and will have no liability in connection with) the following occurrences, to the extent that they occur for reasons beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control:
- Any postponement or cancellation of the Competition;
- Any change to the prize or the way in which it can be used;
- Any act or default of any third party supplier.
- Prizes are non-exchangeable, non transferable and are not redeemable for cash or other prizes.
- All costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not expressly stated herein as being provided are the sole responsibility of the winner.
- Only one entry per person. If more than one entry is received per person, only the first entry received will be eligible.
- Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed. Use of a false name will result in disqualification.
- In submitting an entry, each entrant warrants that he/she is the owner of the idea(s) and that they are not copied or contain any third-party materials and/or content that you do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable legislation or regulations. The Promoter may make further enquiries regarding the provenance of the entrants work in the event of shortlist and the entrant must respond to all requests for information.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason.
- The Promoter will not accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury (other than our liability for personal injury or death as a result of our negligence) or disappointment of any kind suffered by any entrant in entering the Competition, including as a result of any entrant winning or not winning any prize.
- Prizes are subject to availability and are also subject to the prize supplier’s terms and conditions.
- In the event of any element of the prize being unavailable, the Promoter reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal value.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name, photograph and disclosure of county of residence and will co-operate with any other reasonable requests by the Promoter relating to any post-winning publicity.
- Each entrant agrees to the use of his/her data being shared with the prize supplier for the purposes of administration and fulfilling the Competition.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to contact the winner. If the winner cannot be contacted, fails to respond or provide an address or is unable to comply with these terms and conditions, the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to the next eligible entrant.
- If for any reason the Competition is not capable of running as planned as a result of any (including but not limited to) technical failures, computer virus, mobile network failure, tampering, fraud or any other causes beyond our control which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Competition, we reserve the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition and/or to disqualify any individual who (whether directly or indirectly) causes (or has caused) the problem.
- To obtain the surname and county of the winner(s), please send a stamped addressed envelope to Vice UK Limited 110-112 New North Place. London EC2A 4JA within three months of the closing date.
- The Competition will be governed by English law and entrants to the Competition submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
- The Promoter is Vice UK Limited whose registered office is at 110-112 New North Place, London EC2A 4JA.